REGISTRATION NOW OPEN for December 7 and December 8, 2010
Annual Professional Development Workshop (PDW) on December 8 and
Admissions Advisory Council & GEAR UP SUMMIT on December 7
Hosted by Commission on Independent Colleges and Universities (cIcu), College Board & CUNY
There are two events scheduled, one the afternoon of December 7 and all day December 8. Below is an overview of the two days. Select to attend one or both days. The cIcu Admissions Advisory Council & GEAR UP SUMMIT on December 7 and the annual Professional Development Workshop (PDW) on December 8 will be helpful to GEAR UP professionals, school-based staff, teachers, counselors, mentors, tutors, administrators, parents/guardians, college access professionals and student peer leaders (Dec. 8).
The Commission on Independent Colleges and Universities (cIcu) partners with the College Board to organize the PDW each year, along with CUNY NYGEAR UP, which will again be providing support for materials for the event as well as arranging for one of the sessions. The Admissions Advisory Council – GEAR UP SUMMIT is an important new session, building on feedback from last year’s “Admissions Speed Dating.” The SUMMIT will provide time for more in-depth discussion and relationship-building. The two events are scheduled for:
December 7 (SUMMIT and Reception) and December 8, 2010 (PDW)
at Doubletree Tarrytown, Tarrytown, NY
Registration is now open at: https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/2010PDWandSummitRegistration <https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/2010PDWandSummitRegistration>
Plans are shaping up nicely for a substantive program. The preliminary schedule for the event follows below. As the agenda is finalized, we will be sure to keep you up to date with all of the workshop topics and event logistics.
We encourage you to register as soon as possible as we need to plan for the refreshments/meals and confirm room reservations. [Thank you SUNY Cobleskill, CUNY NYGEAR UP and Yonkers for submitting preliminary attendance numbers!] Note that overnight accommodations will be provided first come first serve and are reserved for the partnerships as outlined by HESC.
Feel free to share this e-mail with your GEAR UP communities (teachers, school counselors, administrators, families, student peer leaders and college access program colleagues). Call or e-mail me, Jen Lewis (email@example.com <mailto:firstname.lastname@example.org>
Thank you in advance for helping to spread the word. We look forward to seeing you in December!
With best wishes,
December 7, 2010: SUMMIT
2:00-2:45pm Registration for cIcu Admissions Advisory Council & GEAR UP SUMMIT
2:45-4:30 cIcu Admissions Advisory Council & GEAR UP SUMMIT
The Summit will facilitate conversation with Independent Sector admissions representatives and GEAR UP college access professionals to address how to best ensure our students get to the college of their choice and succeed. The Summit agenda also includes discussion of program sustainability, new collaborative initiatives and grant opportunities. It will be an important, valuable opportunity to make new, and solidify existing relationships while strategizing about future initiatives, partnerships and outreach.
4:30-5:30 Networking Reception
Dinner on your own
December 8, 2010: PDW
9:00 – 10:00 am Registration and Light Breakfast
10:00 – 10:10 Welcome and Program Overview
10:10 – 11:15 Morning Plenary: College Board
11:15 – 12:30 pm Session I Roundtables (select one)
· Roundtable 1: College Board, Topic Pending
· Roundtable 2: College Admission Application Review Committee, Admission Experts – An interactive session to experience an admissions application review committee and the criteria involved in admit decisions.
· Roundtable 3: Family Engagement (working title), Yalitza Vasquez, Director of Educational Services, Learning Leaders
· Roundtable 4: Empowering Students to be Effective Self-Advocates: Campus Services for Students (working title), TBD speaker
12:30 – 1:30 Lunch
Keynote: Current State of Higher Education, Laura L. Anglin, President, cIcu
1:30 – 2:45 Session II Roundtables (select one)
· Roundtable 5: College Orientation 101. Bethany Nohlgren, Associate Dean of Students and Director of 1st Year Students, Bard College – Discussion with student support services professionals about what students experience during their first year at college. Topics will include: living with a roommate, making new friends, managing time, study skills, services available on campus, participating in extracurricular activities, and finding a campus job.
· Roundtable 6: College Financial Aid Awards: Making the Decisions. Dan Robinson, Campus Director Office of Student Aid, Pace University Pleasantville Campus – Learn how to help your students and their families compare financial aid packages; how and why they are different; types of aid awarded and possible repayment and renewal terms; important deadlines; credit awareness and debt management.
· Roundtable 7: CUNY Expert, Topic Pending
2:45 – 3:45 “Group Share” Roundtables
Experience is often the best lesson. Many programs are preparing their students for graduation and the transition to college and will be leaving their schools. Others look forward to continuing to challenge, cajole and encourage their cohorts to succeed and excel as they move through middle school and high school. All will participate in an organized “group share.” The goal is to share your most successful workshops or activities to meet specified challenges:
· Involving Parents
· Involving Students [“Unpacking” the Move to College, Preparing for Postsecondary Academics and Beyond, Taking the Steps to College: Applications (admission, financial aid)]
· Involving your Schools and Communities – Sustaining your Efforts: What will your footprint be?
3:45 – 4:00 Wrap up
P.S. These workshops are made possible in part with federal GEAR UP funds that provide the majority of the project’s total budget. The remaining funds come from the Commission on Independent Colleges and Universities’ Outreach Program and its member independent colleges and universities, as well as from the College Board and CUNY NYGEAR UP.
Susan Nesbitt Perez
Vice President, Outreach and Financial Aid
Commission on Independent Colleges and Universities (cIcu)
17 Elk Street, PO Box 7289, Albany, New York 12224
Phone: (518) 436-4781 ext. 30 Fax: (518) 436-0417
http://www.cicu.org – Higher education information for policy makers.
http://www.nycolleges.org – Admission and financial aid information for students, families, and counselors.